Tuesday, October 5, 2010

History Lesson!

As I did last year, I plan on occasionally posting updates from our world history lessons.  I find it so fascinating that I hope others will too!  We are now studying around 64 AD and focusing on the early church martyrs.  Did you know that the reason John was on the Isle of Patmos (where he had the book of Revelation revealed to him) because he had been exiled there under the persecution of Domitian?  And listen to this powerful quote by Ignatius before he was thrown into the den of lions..." I am God's grain, to be ground between the teeth of wild beasts, so that I may become a holy loaf for the Lord."

I am grateful that we live in a fairly peaceful time for Christians in our country, however I was sharing with the children that the church actually flourishes more in times of persecution than in times of peace.  I feel that I must prepare my children...our nation is becoming more and more Godless, mimicking the days of Rome.  What might they have to suffer for the sake of Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment